Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Strength, Courage & Wisdom

One of my favorite recording artists is India Arie (Grammy award winning I might add). I have been a fan since she hit the stage some 10 yrs ago.  I recently discovered that India Arie had her DNA tested at African Ancestry just as I did. It also turns out that she has roots in Guinea Bissau just like I do (and no, I don't think we're related, that's not where I'm going with this).

I have been looking for a prominent personality with Guinea Bissauan roots to invite on our historic journey home trip next February. The journey is historic because we are the 1st African American, DNA tested, descendants to return to the country.

The country could really use our help. They have been getting bad press and I believe it is hurting their ability to draw people to the country. The information I received about the country certainly scared me away from wanting to visit, at first (some of you may recall me saying so before).

I have now learned that although it is an extremely poor country, the people are friendly and countryside is beautiful. I can't wait to see it for myself.

If anyone has any contacts with India Aria or any ideas how I might go about contacting her agents, please let me know.

Other Prominent African Americans
with DNA link to Guinea Bissau
Whoopi Goldberg
Susan Taylor
Roland Martin
Regina King
Tom Joyner
Rep Barbara Lee
Mayor Shirley Franklin
Tom Joyner
Please enjoy this inspiring video

No comments: