Wednesday, November 2, 2011

It Takes a Village Project Launch

Here's your chance to get involved
I've been literally bursting inside for at least a month to make the annoucement that......drum roll please...
It Takes a Village 
has partnered with hip hop artist,  
Hasan Salaam
to provide much needed services to the village of Djati.

For those who have been following me for any length of time, you know that I recently adopted the village of Djati and I am deeply committed to helping the people of Guinea Bissau obtain some of life's basic necessities -- basics that we take for granted here in the US.

I was considering doing another round of Little Dresses but the needs of Djati go so much deeper than that.

Did you know?
Worldwide, nearly a billion people live without clean drinking water.
This is called a water crisis.
It's a crisis because it only starts with water -- but water affects everything in life.
There is no country that exemplifies this more than the county of Guinea Bissau West Africa. Guinea Bissau is a small and somewhat unknown country with a population of around 1.5 million people and ranks as the 4th poorest country in the world.
And...there is no better example of how this lack of clean water affects everything (health hunger poverty and education) than the remote, tiny little village of Djati, Guinea Bissau. Djati is located about 160 mi from the capital city of Bissau and has a population of about 1,000.
Djati is like the land time has forgotten. The village has no well, no school and no medical facility.
Our Project “It Takes a Village” is convinced that this can change.

After discovering that the village had no well for clean water, no medical facility for the sick and no permanent school for the children, I knew I had to do something.

I contacted Hasan & his management and asked for their help. They quickly agreed to come on board and they came up with a wonderful way to help Djati through music.

Hasan will be releasing his new Cd aptly titled "Music is my Weapon" on 12/1.
They decided to help out by generously donating all of the proceeds from the new album to our project!
Can you believe it?
I am elated!



Here's what we need

The project will include:                               
What:                        Cost:
Build a Well              $3,500
currently the women and girls walk 2-3 miles twice a day to get water
Build new School    $3,000
there are currently 100 students wo attend a school made form sticks and hay. Each year during the rainy season the structure is washed away and has to be rebuilt. The new school will have 2 classrooms and evently they will add 2 more classrooms to provide education for children from near by villages
Desk for the school  $3,000
School Supplies        $2,000
Medical Building      $3,000
there are only 5 doctors in GB for 1.5 million people) There are NO doctors or medical clinic in Djati. The project will build a 2 room clinic
 Total                          $14,500

Please go here for more information on how you can get involved.
 I will be heading the project
You can buy the music or make a monetary donation. Your choose.
100% of all donations go to the project
All donations are tax deductible
Just note in the comments section if you need a receipt for taxes.
Receive email updates of the progress
Each donation comes with a gift.
Once I return from Guinea Bissau I will create a book about the project which will include the journey along with photographs of Guinea Bissau and Djati. The book will be on sale to the public. More details to follow 

If we raise $3,500 in the next several weeks we can have construction started on the school and it can be completed by the time I visit. I can be there for the grand opening! Please donate today!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is a great cause. I have donated already. I will pass it along. Keep up the good work.

chibear777 said...

I have also donated, it's is time for us to help us. The Djati village needs the help.

Anonymous said...

I am soo excited to see this project created to help our people in Guinea-Bissau. I know how hard you and other's have worked and can't wait to see the end results. A donation will be made and I will help spread the word for the cause!

Anonymous said...

A poet is born

The outcome of my life is no more than three lines:
I was a raw material.
I became mature and cooked.
And I was burned into nothingness.
-- -- Rumi

You can tell the Great Poet in your life there is a FOURTH LINE

"I Gave ... "