Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Djati Update - More Good News!

Djati Update
Maritza went with Freddy to a different sawmill where they were able to purchase enough boards for 50 desks.

They found enough to do thirty benches and then the manager surprised them by giving them enough wood for twenty benches. WOW! So as it stands now there will be enough seats and tables for 50 school desks. (Each desk to seat 3 children)

The school house is 2 rooms. They will put 25 desks in each room. How perfect is that?

 And...they came in under budget!

Good job Maritza and Freddy!!

So with that done, they have decided to build bathrooms for the school. This is something we take for granted but it will be an extra special convenience for them. Freddy is working up the budget now and will let us know the cost. 

I also inquired about lighting for the class rooms since it didn’t appear that there would be a lot of light (at least not based on the pictures we could see)
Maritza: The school windows have decorated blocks. Some light comes in. Any other kind of open windows will be a way for breaking in, and in no time, the stuff inside the school may disappear. It is common to do block windows.
Djati does not have any kind of electricity. Homes are not lit at night. They may have a candle.
NO EVENING PTA MEETINGS IN AFRICA...
I asked about the homes in Djati (what they look like since I’ve never seen a picture).
Maritza: Perhaps you may enjoy the excitement of seeing the homes for the first time when you get there, or I will send you a picture and take away the excitement. They are simple homes, adobe and thatched roofs...dirt floors.
I opted to wait for the "in person surprise". After all, I’ve waited this long.

While I am there, my plan is to survey the area in hopes of possibly getting the village some alternatives to electricity:
Maritza: Electricity, as we know, is very expensive. It is only used on occasion, for example if you buy a small generator, then it needs diesel to run.  Some small generators may be used in villages to show the kids a video at night or the whole village may come out to watch, but it is not common practice to have a generator going.  That means diesel oil as fuel and that costs money!
Most people in Djati have no liquid cash. They use a bartering system.
An economical source of energy is solar. Solar panels are used in many areas here (like at Casa Emanuel), but there is not one solar panel in Djati.  Yet it is not impossible... it is clean and economical even though the initial cost is high.
This is a possible future project for me.

We concluded our correspondence with a discussion about food.

We’re going to buy some candy for the children and Maritza mentioned trying to get some popcorn as the children of Djati have never tasted popcorn. 

We then began a discussion about food for our group.

and she said.....
Maritza: Let us know in advance in order to make sure we have some interesting foods for you. I assume you do not eat monkey or crocodile?
My answer. Uh, I think I'll pass on both (hope they won't be offended). I plan to bring my own food. Some Lays potato chips, dried fruit and salmon (in foil) purchased from my local SAFEWAY!!! 

I wholeheartedly agree with Maritza when she says 
"AFRICA IS AN EXPERIENCE."

No comments: