Wednesday, August 31, 2011

In Search for African Hair Trends

Many of you may not know that I'm launching a new blog in September called "Roc'n the Long Locs". The term "long" refers to time and/or length of hair. The blog will focus on the needs of people who have worn their hair natural for at least 5 years. In many cases there will also be some length to the hair (if they have not cut it). I'm encouraging readers to send me their personal hair-story in photos or video. I have also included my own hair-story which chronicles my 11 year natural hair journey.

As I was doing research for the new blog I began to think about the attitude of people in the US toward African American natural hairstyles such as dreads, locs, twists, etc.  And, I also wondered about the attitude of black people in Africa toward natural hair. What are their hair trends?  So, I set out in search of answers (which I found rather difficult to uncover I might add).

I thought this blog would be a good place to discuss those attitudes. In the coming days I will be posting a series of articles, photos and videos illustrating the attitudes toward natural hair from both the African and African American perspective. I hope that in the end I can help people to gain a better understanding and foster some dialogue on the topic.
We are more than our hair.

Omo Valley Tribes - Ethiopia

No comments: