Saturday, March 17, 2012

Guinea Bissau goes to the polls to vote for new President


Guinea Bissau in the news! I'm impressed.

There is going to be an election tomorrow (yes they vote on Sundays) and it looks like there are about 9 candidates running.  WOW!

Here are a few pictures I was able to obtain, showing excited voters in the streets in support of their chosen candidate. 


I wanted to read up on the candidates so I searched and searched but information was very minimal. So, I looked at the photos and picked the one I liked. I mean what else could I do? As it turns out, he is the only Fula running (I am Fula) so good job there. His name is Manuel Serifo Nhamajo. Due to the limited information and the language barrier I am unable to give you many more details but I did see that he had a position on a committee in the UK. Doesn't look like he's a front runner but I am really only interested in the people of Guinea Bissau getting out to vote for the best person for them. There are a lot of problems that need to be solved.


I love politics so I'm going to continue studying their politics and I'll report back. I'm also following the elections in Senegal and of course our own U.S race.
Below are a couple of articles.

BISSAU, Guinea-Bissau—There's a sense of deja vu in Guinea-Bissau, a minuscule nation ringed by an archipelago of virgin islands off Africa's western coast, where voters are again heading to the polls on Sunday.

They voted for president in an emergency election two years ago, after their previous leader was gunned down inside his home. But instead of bringing the much-needed stability that this coup-prone nation craves, newly elected President Malam Bacai Sanha spent his presidency shuttling between hospitals in Europe and Africa, for what his aides described as "routine checkups."

Source: SJ Mercury News

and another
GUINEA-BISSAU ELECTION 2012: THE LAST HOURS

No comments: