Sunday, May 6, 2012

Finding Your Roots - The students from Guinea Bissau


I watched an episode of a new series "Finding Your Roots" with Henry Louis Gates. This episode featured Samuel L Jackson, Condoleezza Rice and Ruth Simmons. I really liked the show and found it to be very interesting and even though none of these guests had roots back to Guinea Bissau, the episode did highlight a project called the Continuum Project which took place in a Brooklyn middle school. The students had their DNA traced.

I am not familiar with the project but a couple of the students on the show were identified as Fulani from Guinea Bissau. Hmmmm how interesting!! I wonder if the students might want to participate in our It Takes a Village project?

Well, I certainly don't know the answer to that question, but it never hurts to ask. Right? So, this week I will begin to research this possibility.

Suggestions Welcome!
FACT: Only 15% of DNA traced descendants have roots to Guinea Bissau. That is about 30,000 people since 2002
Source: AfricanAncestry.com
My horoscope is crazy good for May (it's my birthday month) 
Wish me luck!

Here's the full episode. If you didn't see it, pull up a chair and enjoy!

 
                         Watch Samuel L. Jackson, Condoleezza Rice, and Ruth Simmons on PBS. See more from Finding Your Roots.

No comments: