Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Discover Barbados, birthplace of Rihanna

I'm not going to research our ports in any particular order (and to be honest with you, at this point, I can't keep the order straight anyway). So, let's just say, I'll discuss them in some random order. And, in the end it will add up to 8 ports.

The first island I researched is Barbados. One of the coolest things for me about this port is that I located an old friend (originally from Venezuela) who I have not seen for over 30 years. We recently reconnected via Facebook. She now lives in Bridgeport Barbados. How cool is that? She flies between Antigua (another stop on our cruise tour) and Barbados for her job. I gave her our cruise dates and she is going to let us know which location will work best for her schedule. We will be in Antigua on a weekday and Barbados on the weekend. Either way, it will be so good to see her again after all these years!!

About Barbados

Barbados is a sovereign island country in the Lesser Antilles. It is 21 miles long and 14 miles wide covering an area of 166 sq miles. It is located in the western area of the North Atlantic - approx 62 miles east of the Windward Islands and the Caribbean Sea  - 104 miles east of the islands of Saint Vincent and the Grenadines - and 400 miles north-east of Trinidad and Tobago.

Barbados is outside of the principal Atlantic hurricane belt.

Barbados has an estimated population of 284,000 people, with around 80,000 living in or around Bridgetown, the largest city and the country's capital

An interesting tidbit is that even though it is on the opposite side of the Atlantic, and around 3000 miles west of Africa, Barbados is one of many places in the American continent which experiences heightened levels of mineral dust from the Sahara Desert.

                                                     Why choose Barbados? 
 
**Please note** I am in no way promoting the company which is advertising in this video. I just liked the video so I posted it purely for the information on Barbados. 
 
And yes, Barbados is the birthplace of singer, Rihanna, who moved from Barbados to the U.S at the age of sixteen to pursue her music career.

I'll give you some interesting history and background on the slaves which found themselves relocated from Africa to Barbados, in my next post.

No comments: