Friday, March 29, 2013

A song dedicated to the people of Guinea Bissau

Last night there was a concert in Fresno, featuring Patrick Contreras. I am so sorry I had to miss it.  There's going to be another WAVS/Contreras event in Fresno in July so I put it on my schedule. If you are anywhere near the area I hope you will attend. I'll be sure to post a reminder as the time draws closer.


I'm a music lover and I first heard about Patrick through my friend Chris Collins from WAVS.  The WAVS organization has been doing some fantastic work on another side of Guinea Bissau. Chris and I met last year when he passed through Oakland. Since then he has been a wonderful source of information. There are so few of us working in this tiny country that it is much appreciated when information and resources are shared.

Anyway, back to Patrick (who was born and raised in Fresno, California. He has branded his unique style of violin playing with influences of Blues, EDM, Rock and Hip Hop). After he made a trip over to Guinea Bissau, I went to his Facebook page and fell in love with music!

I'm hoping to do my own interview with him in the coming days, but for now, here is an interview he did on the subject of his visit to Guinea Bissau.

No comments: