Thursday, September 15, 2011

Can we ever go home again?

me on the right (in shorts) - Union SC (a while ago:)
Caught between two worlds
It was only a short year ago that I was planning an exciting trip to Cape Town South Africa. It was a trip that included exotic safaris and 4 star hotels. Today the trip I plan to Africa includes a visit to the 4th poorest country in the world and accommodations at a local orphanage. 


And I couldn’t be happier!

My desire is to live a life of not only prosperity, but connectedness with people, with the earth, and with the motherland. My joy now comes in helping to rebuild my ancestral homeland.

Who knew the day I opened that envelope revealing my DNA results, that the words I read would begin my journey to healing. I can close my eyes and envision my ancestors bring wisked away from the land that they loved and thrown onto overcrowded slave ships on what must have seemed like a terrifying and endless voyage to an unknown land. All ties to their home now cut off with no written documentation of “who” they used to be.

children of Djati, Guinea Bissau W Africa 2011


Today through the marvels of modern science we are able to trace back many hundreds of years. Going back in history to begin to bridge the gap between “them” and “us” -- "then" and "now".

On a very deep and soulful level there probably is very little difference.


And I am forever changed

No comments: