Wednesday, February 1, 2012

I was a Soul Train Junkie!

Today is the beginning of Black History Month. Never thought it would start off like this....
I heard the sad news this morning that Don Cornelius had passed away, apparently due to a suicide. I was shocked.

I remember watching Soul Train every Saturday's at noon. My girlfriend and I would sit on the telephone through the entire show. 

We loved watching that show! Every week Soul Train showcased the latest and the greatest R&B entertainers around.  The added benefit was that we could practice our dance moves by watching the talented dancers in the soul train line.


Reported by ABC News
 Don Cornelius’ Suicide Reveals Troubled Life of ‘Soul Train’ Founder
Don Cornelius, 75, was plagued by health problems in the last three decades of his life. He underwent a 21-hour operation in 1982 to correct a congenital malformation in blood vessels in his brain. ”You choose your brain surgeons for their stamina,” he said afterwards, according to the Washington Post. “You’re never quite the same afterward. Travel is always a real test.”

His personal life also suffered. In 2008, he was arrested for felony domestic violence against his estranged wife, Victoria Avila-Cornelius. In 2009, he plead no contest to one count of “corporal injury resulting in traumatic condition of a spouse,” was put on probation for 36 months, and ordered to pay over $1,000 in fines. She also filed multiple restraining orders against him.
Source: ABC News
Read the rest of the story



"and you can bet your last money, it’s all gonna be a stone gas, honey! I’m Don Cornelius, and as always in parting, we wish you love, peace and soul!”
R.I.P Don, "I" will miss you!

No comments: