Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Maybe, I should have been a dancer!

By now you probably know that I have a bit of an obsession with dance.  Not that I believe that I "can" dance, but I really enjoy it and dance is in my spirit.

I'm also a BIG fan of Alvin Ailey. After reading about Dwana Smallwood I decided to look up some of her works with Alvin Ailey.

Cry (1971) For all black women everywhere, especially our mothers: Choreography by Alvin Ailey, Music by Alice Coltrane, Laura Nyro, and Chuck Griffin. Performed by Dwana Adiaha Smallwood. Ms. Smallwood carried the torch of Judith Jamison (now Artistic Director) Ms. Smallwood exemplified the struggle from sorrow and pain to joy and freedom.  Ms. Smallwood utilized her brilliantly designed, long, ruffled white dress, with an expansive length of white material, which became a turban, a slave-like restraint, or finally a swing.

Disturbing music and lyrics, referring to drugs and death on a train, were followed by joyful release and the sensation of survival.

Help Build a Medical Clinic in Djati, Guinea Bissau
Donate Here

Be sure to stop back tomorrow as I share more camera photos from
"A Day in the Life"

No comments: