Monday, March 17, 2014

It Takes a Village gets a Project movie trailer


Did you know that I started It Takes a Village in 2010? How time flies! 

Hopefully, if you’ve been lucky, you haven’t had to listen to me moan and groan over the last 4 years about how much I want to include a short introductory video on my building schools 4 Africa website. I’ve been planning to announce the launch of the site for some time but it has been delayed -- partly due to the lack of a video. The problem has been that I have never done a ‘real’ video (although I have done numerous slideshows). I wanted to find someone who knows what they are doing to help me make a more professional video and I also had a serious lack of video footage to use in the making of a video. Oh, and don’t forget that I have no money to pay someone to produce it for me.

So time has just gone by.

Now that we are almost finished with the buildings in Djati and are quite a way through the 2nd school at Guiledje, I was determined to have a video. This weekend I decided to stop waiting for someone to rescue me and just do it myself! 

So I spent at least FIVE or SIX hours on Friday on my Mac with my little video footage (and even less film making knowledge) and produced this short 1 min 7 second movie trailer. And, I actually like it -- for a 1st attempt. I then got on a roll and decided to make 2 more (one for Project keep Maritza Mobile and the other one for Friends of Guinea Bissau). I will post them for you soon.

In the meantime
Take a peek at the new video for It Takes a Village


 

It Takes a Village - An Introduction to the project from Devon on Vimeo.
With just 1.5 million people in a country the size of Maryland, it’s easy to overlook Guinea-Bissau. It’s the fourth poorest nation in the world and two-thirds of the population survives on less than $2 a day.
Women and girls spend long hours several times a day walking for water. Many children fortunate enough to attend school spend hours walking to distant schools only to receive inadequate education.There are only a handful of doctors and medical services for most citizens is non existent. Sewage seeps into the same ground where well-water is drawn from. It’s not surprising that the average life-expectancy age is 47.
I wanted to do something to help as there are no charitable services available there. So, I adopted a tiny village and set up a project called “It Takes a Village”. Our mission is to build schools and wells in the rural areas of Guinea Bissau.

Please join us on the journey!

Help Build a School 4 West Africa - http://buildingschools4africa.org/
devon4Africa Blog - http://devon4africablog.blogspot.com

1 comment:

shelly earnshaw @ribbon in the sky said...

Devon! Way to go!!! So proud and inspired by your tenacity to do what you set out to do! And doing it to help people in such great need!